Why choose me as your therapist
Over the last 17 years I have worked with many clients struggling with a broad range of difficulties.
These include loss and bereavement, sex and relationship problems, sex addiction and partner trauma, eating problems, alcohol or drug addiction, post-traumatic stress, complex trauma, adult or childhood sexual abuse, anxiety and depression, low self-esteem and sexual identity exploration. I adapt my approach to each person’s individual needs and call on the broad base of therapeutic approaches that underpin my practice.
My early direction came from six intense years nursing at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital in the Psychodynamic model of group and individual therapy.
I worked with patients struggling with serious mental health problems such as clinical depression, bipolar,schizophrenia, suicidal thoughts, self-harm, post-natal psychosis and other mental health conditions. From 2002 to 2006 I counselled at Gay Men's Health working with issues related to sexual orientation, coming out, relationships, anxiety, body image, loss and bereavement. This gave me a rich understanding of diversity and homophobia… both experienced and internalised and the fundamental importance of living a life which is true to who ‘you are’.
From 2007 to 2018 I practised at Couples Counselling (now Brightlight) in parallel with my own busy therapy practice and though I now focus primarily within my private practice I still continue to provide casework supervision for the Brightlight.
My learning journey has been marked by a series of formal interventions including:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Integrative Counselling
- State Registered Psychiatric Nurse (not currently practising)
- HNC Integrative Counselling
- HNC Counselling Skills and Theory
- Certificate in Cruse Bereavement Counselling
- Certificate in Cognitive Analytical Therapy
- Diploma in Couple Counselling (registered BACP)
- Applied Suicide Intervention (ASSIST) Facilitator
- Certificate in Counselling Casework Supervision (registered Relationship Scotland)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy (accredited COSRT)
- Diploma in Treating Sex Addiction (registered ATSAC)
- Advanced Certificate in Emotionally Focused Therapy (registered ICEPT and member BEFT)